I spent a long time trying to find my center until I looked closely one night and found it had wheels and moved in the slightest breeze, so now I spend less time sitting and more time sailing.

From "Center on Wheels"
Brian Andreas







Saturday, February 6, 2010

The next chapter

I have been thinking about starting a blog for quite a long time although I always seemed to be too busy to do it. Now that Izzy is older and the girls play together more, I finally feel that I have some time to spare. There are always so many thoughts swirling around in my head at once and sometimes I get overwhelmed, feeling like there is so much to consider and process as we travel through life. So many variables in any given situation and never enough time, it seems, to get through all the layers.
I was in an elevator yesterday and I started thinking about how completely bizzare it is that it feels so uncomfortable to be in such a small space with so many people. It never feels comfortable in an elevator, people watch the numbers, check their watch, stare at the wall. I find the whole idea of personal space so interesting, I think that the lack of personal space in the elevator is what makes it so uncomfortable. But why are we so weirded out when we are forced to stand that close to one another? It's like the close talker, that dude who talks to you with his face WAY too close to yours. Weirdo. But why does it feel so strange. I often think about personal space in our new house. It is much smaller than our old house, and sometimes I can acutely feel the difference. But most of the time, I love that we are all closer together here, I love feeling cozy, and I think a small space can be very comforting. When the girls get older and they have to be THIS CLOSE to their completely uncool archaic parents, they may not enjoy being so cozy. I wonder what personal space will mean to us all, living here, as the girls get bigger. I wonder if it will make us a stronger family unit or constrict and agitate us. I hope it encourages a sense of togetherness, one that we may not have felt with all the space in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment