I spent a long time trying to find my center until I looked closely one night and found it had wheels and moved in the slightest breeze, so now I spend less time sitting and more time sailing.

From "Center on Wheels"
Brian Andreas







Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Heart Fernwood












Today we went for a long walk downtown, it took us three hours round trip and it was awesome. I have been looking around trying to find the right bike to buy and have decided on the Giant "Dash." I think it will be perfect for what I want to do-which is move towards a less vehicle dependent lifestyle. I will be towing the girls in a MEC bike trailer and I am so stoked. We have been so busy lately and Izzy has been ill so this week we have spent a lot of time just the three of us during the days. Spending the days outside strolling the Fernwood neighborhood has really solidified my feeling that we are exactly where we should be. Fernwood as a community is so eclectic and yet feels so cohesive. I feel so peaceful here, but beyond that, I feel such a sense of creativity and an inclination to slow down and enjoy. Being here has caused me to really look at what I want my life to be and a question from a friend the other day has propelled my thinking into a wider sphere. She asked: "what kind of model do you want to be for your children?" and I have since given it a lot of thought. Before I became pregnant with Violet, I had been a vegetarian for many years. Due to the fact that I couldn't seem to get enough iron into my system once I was pregnant, I made the decision to eat meat. Now that the demands on my body are once again only my own, I have decided to resume my vegetarian lifestyle. This is a choice I have made for myself and I do not intend for Violet and Izzy to adopt my lifestyle choices. As with anything, I believe that they have a right, as they mature, to decide for themselves how they feel about vegetarianism. For now, I can choose what works for me and allow them the same freedom as separate individuals.
I signed up for boot camp today and I can't wait, it starts April 6th. It is an outdoor boot camp and promises to "whip me into shape." I won't lie and say this doesn't scare the...out of me. I haven't worked out vigorously in such a long time, but I am so done with roly poly olie over here, kickin' it in my stretch pants.
The times, they are a changin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment